The Middle East, Turkey and Africa Google News Innovation Challenges focuses on creative projects that demonstrate opportunities to increase reader engagement and support the development of new business models. Google will fund selected projects up to USD $150,000 and will finance up to 70% of the total project cost.
This Challenge is open to organizations of every size, including freelancers and sole traders, that aim to produce innovative, original journalism and to enlighten citizens with trustworthy journalistic content, whose projects focus on encouraging a more sustainable news ecosystem, that meet five criteria:
- Impact: Potential for significant positive impact on the creation of new revenue streams and/or change the way people consume digital news.
- Innovation: Innovative use of technology, business model, new reader engagement approaches that are transformative for the applicant and for users.
- Feasibility: Clear indicators and metrics, or even a business plan when relevant, and set out key risks and mitigation steps.
- Inspiration: Willingness to share knowledge, open source code or/and to contribute to the improvement of the ecosystem overall.
- Diversity: Demonstrate commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion whether that is within their audience, organization or content.
The application window closes on Monday, April 12 at 23:59 GMT. Only online applications in English will be considered. Applicants are asked to provide descriptions, detailed project plans and budget information via their online application form. Find out more about eligibility criteria and requirements.